BUMPDATE: 21 weeks!


I had my 20 week scan today, and the baby was very wriggly!! I swear the baby hates the ultrasound machine, they did the same at the two previous scans. As soon as the sonographer thought she'd found a good angle for a vital measurement and was about to do a snapshot, the baby moved and ruined it! 😂 But she persisted and managed to get all the measurements but it did take almost half an hour of trying!

All was found to be perfectly normal, and baby is almost spot on its growth target, measuring 21 weeks and 1 day! Although it was mentioned as a funny anecdote that the baby's legs are quite long... Nothing to do with me. I blame The Husband; I'm 5 foot 2 inches, whereas my Husband is 6 foot 2!

For most mums the 20 week scan or the 'detailed' scan is the last time they see their baby before birth. Not so if you are a high-risk mum like myself - I have another 3 scans to go, so called growth scans. Which feels quite novel as I get to see my baby another 3 times before due day! I will discuss being classed as high risk in another post.

I have been able to feel my baby move for a few weeks now, but it's all been rather subtle. The answer why came today - I have an anterior placenta! This means that the baby's movements are muffled by the placenta and it can take a few weeks longer before you really start to feel proper baby kicks. This is reassuring as I was wondering why movements were quite subtle still.

So what is week 21 like? I am feeling rather relaxed and energised, but I am definitely starting to feel bigger. I am also hungry all the time. I have to keep food with me at all times, whether it's just a Mars bar or a whole pack of chocolate chip brioche rolls (yes, that's right)...

From this week onward baby isn't measured "head to rump" anymore but rather "crown to heel".
This little wriggler is now a whopping 26.3cm, so longer than the carrot we chose to picture for this weeks bumpdate photo!


Comments